Defense Base Act
Increasingly, work essential to national security is performed by government contractors abroad. Though not members of the military, employees of U.S. government contractors are often exposed to the same risks as those in the armed forces. What happens if you are hurt while doing this critical work?
The Defense Base Act (DBA) is a federal law that offers disability compensation and medical benefits to employees of U.S. government contractors working overseas, and death benefits to eligible survivors of deceased employees of those contractors. An extension of the Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act (LHWCA), the DBA provides similar protections. At The Law Firm of Charlene A. Morring, PC, we will help you file a Defense Base Act claim if you or a loved one was injured working for a government contractor.
Defense Base Act Claims
You can make a claim under the DBA if you were injured during:
- Work for private employers on a U.S. military base or land used for U.S. military purposes outside of the United States or in a U.S. territory or possession;
- Work on a public work contract with a U.S. government agency outside the United States;
- Work on contracts approved and funded by the United States under the Foreign Assistance Act if performed outside the U.S.;
- Work for American employers providing welfare and similar services for the benefit of U.S. armed services (like the USO);
- Transport to or from work listed above, if the U.S. government or the employer pays for or provides the transportation.
As long as one of these is true for you, you are covered by the DBA, even if you are not a citizen of the United States. If you are not sure where to start with filing a DBA claim, or if you even qualify, we can help you figure it out. If you have a claim, we will fight for you every step of the way.
Supportive Legal Representation for DBA Claims
At Morring Law PLLC, we understand the pain and financial pressure being injured can cause. If you were hurt at work on a military base or working for a defense contractor, your number one priority should be healing, but you also need to pay your bills and provide for your family. We are here to help. Attorney Charlene Morring has many years of experience helping people just like you successfully file DBA claims.
Let us lift your legal and financial worries from your shoulders so that you can focus on your health and recovery. We will fight for you like the skilled litigators we are, and we will care for you like family.
Morring Law PLLC is based in Norfolk, Virginia, and represents North Carolina and Virginia clients with Defense Base Act claims no matter where their injuries occurred. For a free consultation to see how we might be able to help you, please contact our law office. We look forward to working with you.